A Multi-Day Point-to-Point Adventure, in the footsteps of the Group of Seven
Crank the Shield is a multi-day cycling odyssey through Ontario’s stunning Algoma/ Canadian Shield country. The event offers a unique experience to riders from across North America. This event combines a world famous backcountry Train ride to the remote start, amazing food over the duration of the event, 60 optional room accommodations (VIP upgrade), event goodies, great aid stations and some of the best and most rewarding days you will experience on a bike. Riders will be in awe of both the rugged countryside, and of the amazing support they will see at every step!
Included with the low standard race Entry of $699** + tax:
- Amazing Food – breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, Award Ceremony Feast.
- Algoma Canyon Tour train ticket ($100 + value, we had to rent the whole train!
- Meet and greet, with snacks at Thursday Night package pick-up site.
- Fresh, yummy PIZZA at the finish line for Days 1 and 2 (the Soo has a lot of Italians, seems to make sense)
- Event t-shirt, socks, number plate, and more goodies!
- Bag Transportation throughout the entire event!
- Free Parking for entire event.
- Amazing draw prizes each night! Including art from local artists, and of course, bike stuff!
- Timing and medals for each category, winners jerzeys at end!
- Final prizes and overall awards, handcrafted from stones from Lake Superior’s dramatic shores!
- Plus amazing staff, volunteers, safety, timing and course construction.
Add the $150 VIP option and get a bed, and shared washroom/shower. **The 60 VIP spots have sold out! Your options include a tent, with loads of space and we will move each day your RV, or use nearby accommodations! Don’t despair – you’ll be wiped, and could likely sleep anywhere!
**REMEMBER – our early bird price of $699 goes up to $739 Friday, April 20th at midnight – why wait – register NOW!
Other registration options:
Resident of the Soo and want to stay at home? From out of town and want to stay at a nearby hotel or B&B? Here are some options that will help cut costs and suit your needs:
- Enjoy all breakfasts/Lunches, but stay elsewhere. Email email@example.com if this is for you and you will get an individual coupon code for $50 off for when you register!
- I JUST wanna RACE! Ok, so you don’t wanna hang out with a bunch of tired cyclists and talk about bike parts. (It’s way more fun than that, but you get the drift). This option will get you a different coloured wristband – you’ll still get the full race experience, aid stations, finish line Pizza and food – AND the grand finale BBQ, you just wont be dining with us or using our facilities at Stokely or Searchmont. This option will save you $130 – again, if you’d like this option, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an individual coupon code to use at time of checkout!
- Have any other special needs/requests? Email us and we’ll make it work for you!
Learn More or REGISTER!
We are excited to have world renowned artist Norman R. Brown as our artist in residence!
As we embark upon this adventure, on the very lands painted by Canadan’s pre-eminent painters, the Group of Seven, we are delighted to have with us one of Canada’s most accomplished artists! Norman has spent time up here painting, out of “Crank Headquarters”, and is in love the the landscape for it’s grandeur, savagery and uncompromising beauty. Norman will accompany us on the train, and will be on-site, at our lodges, and along the course, painting “plein air” paintings of the landscape! Stop and see him wield his brush like a master Jedi with his lightsaber – and perhaps win one of his incredible works! Norman will also do a painting tutorial one of the evenings, while living amongst us for 3 days!
Two Person Team vs Solo
Solo participants race on their own for the duration of Crank The Shield. Two person team participants must ride together within 2 minutes of each other and finish within 2 minutes of each other. The advantages of working as a team include moral and technical support with many stage events originally only having this two-person component. If you find an evenly matched friend, or don’t feel like getting caught riding alone on the course, maybe the two person division is for you.
NEW “HOPSCOTCH” CATEGORY FOR CRANK 2018– You, and your companion want to CRANK together, but want a day to recover, and/or you’re bringing and RV and your kids and one of you needs to watch them? No problem! Here’s an example of a scenario:
DAY 1: Spouse #1 races day 1. (Spouse #2 can still join the INCREDIBLE train ride for $80). Spouse #1 drives the RV to Stokely Creek, our first night, meeting spouse #1.
Day 2: Spouse #2 races day 2, while spouse #1 “Hopscotches” the RV the half hour from Stokely, to our second nights’ accommodations at Searchmont. Everyone enjoys the night together.
Day 3: Spouse #1, fresh from a day off, rides day 3, while spouse #2, having ridden the previous day, “hopscotches” the RV to our finish, in Sault Ste. Marie. OR, both of you ride day 3 for just another $100, which includes the final BBQ! (we’ll find you a ride back to your RV, no problem!)
- Solo Under 30 Men
- Solo 30-39 Men
- Solo 40-49 Men
- Solo 50+ Men
- Solo Singlespeed OPEN
- Solo Fat bike (RAFRIDER is likely alone on this)
- Solo Under 40 Women
- Solo 40+ Women
- Two Person Under 80 Men
- Two Person 80 + Men
- Two Person ALL FEMALE* Added April 1, see details below
- Two Person Team Mixed (all females choose this as well)
- NEW Hopscotch category!
- *If 3 teams do not register, all female will race in mixed category!
For past riders or any riding enthusiast, check out this nostalgic look at 10 years of Crank the Shield